Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Lilly Pulitzer Sale: Are You Ready?

You all know how much I love a Lilly dress, which is why in the last few years, many of the milestones in my life involved a Lilly OOTD (more here). However, I have yet to purchase a Lilly Pulitzer item at full price. While the pieces are beautifully made and durable, I just can't bring myself to take that big of a plunge, especially not with my student budget. So I look forward to the Lilly sales all year long. And it's finally here! 




Unfortunately, Lilly does not go on sale very often, but when it does oh boy what a sale. Typically, there is one sale in January and one in August and that is it for the year. You may be fortunate enough to find Lilly on sale in a department store or if you're really lucky, you can attend the Lilly Pulitzer Warehouse Sales. As for me, I stick to the online sales where I've picked up beautiful $300 shift dresses for as little as $50. Do you see why all us Lilly Lovers go so crazy around this time of the year? So in anticipation for such a crazy sale, there is work to be done. Here are my tips on scoring your Lilly!

1. Open an Account: If you don't already have an online account in place-set one up now! If you do have one, make sure to update it. You don't want to waste precious time entering your shipping information. Items sale out fast and the site crashes frequently. The quicker you can get in and out, the better.  

2.  Be Patient: This is the most important as these Lilly sales can be frustrating. Between waiting for the site to be fixed after a crash or waiting for the slowed site to process my order, it has literally taken me hours to purchase a single item. There are a lot of users on the website at once so it is going to take some time. So be prepared and stay positive. 



3. One at a Time: This may sound crazy, but only purchase one item at a time. It's not uncommon to place something in your cart, only to have it disappear while you are shopping for other items. Yep, that's right. In the time it took you to add a second item to your cart, that dress you have been coveting has just sold out. So if it's something you really have to have, buy it and come back for the others later. 

4. Shop in order of Importance: This goes along with #3. If you're main goal is to get a Lilly Murfee scarf, don't bother looking at anything else. Lilly Pulitzer categorizes sale items well so look for the things you want most first. 

5. Sizing is Key: Know your size before you start shopping. I only point this one out because my Lilly Pulitzer size is different than my regular size and all sales are final. So you want to be confident that you are buying the right size for you. If you don't already own a Lilly, try some on. If that's not an option for you between now and the sale, I would recommend sizing up. Why? Because when it comes to getting clothes altered, you can always have something taken it, but that's not always the case if you need something to be taken out. 

6. Shop Often: The Lilly sale typically lasts a few days and the items available change regularly. If you don't see what you're looking for on Day 1, don't be discouraged because it may be there the next day.

7. Utilize Social Media: The lovely ladies and gentlemen at the Pink Palace do a fairly good job about keeping us posted. Regular announcements are made, especially regarding website crashes. And as an added bonus, there are flash sales throughout the course of the Lilly sale. So keep up with Lilly of Facebook and Twitter. 

8. Set A Budget: I know that we all love Lilly and are happy that it's more affordable now, but don't spend more than you want to. That defeats the purpose of buying things on sale. So decide before you start shopping how much you're willing to spend and stay firm. 

9. Know what you want: Knowing exactly what you're looking for is going to be key to scoring your items quickly. For me, I already have a pretty good idea of what prints and cuts I want. Be sure to familiarize yourself. 

10. Maintain some wiggle room: Yes, I'm aware that I just said to know exactly what you are looking for, but wiggle room is important too. You never know what might show up during a Lilly sale. Sometimes items from seasons past that you weren't expecting to be production any longer pop up. So be prepared to shuffle some things around. 


So there you have it, one crazy Lilly Lovers tips on scoring a great deal. Good luck everyone and "may the odds be ever in you're favor".

No comments:

Post a Comment