Tuesday, June 14, 2016

day trip diaries: block island RI

This past weekend had just the right dose of relaxation and adventure. One of the best parts of being in the northeast is that all these states have great little island escapes. New York has Long Island. Massachusetts has Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and Cape Cod. And Rhode Island has Block Island. 
I was feeling under the weather, but I'm leaving Boston (and husband) soon to return to grad school, so we couldn't miss out on an opportunity to spend a bit of time together. We quickly skimmed our summer wish list and decided on a day trip to Block Island.


From Boston, it takes a bit of effort to get to Block Island, but was so worth it. We drove into Port Judith Rhode Island to catch the ferry from there. After a couple of hours in the car and another hour on the ferry, we finally made it to the island. 

Our original plan was to bike the island. With me not feeling 100%, we decided to upgrade to a moped! Husband did an amazing job of driving, even though he had too much fun revving the engine nonstop. I sat in back and it's amazing I didn't fall off because I had my iPhone in one hand and my camera in the other,snapping as many photos as possible while we zoomed through the island. 
these summer cottages are the cutest, I need this adorable coral-pink one 
 Our good deed for the day...we found this guy trying to cross the road. Tom stopped traffic and helped move him along so he wouldn't get squished. Of course the snapping turtle didn't appreciate our help and wasn't the nicest but we got him across safely. 
We had no real plans for the day other than to explore. The only thing on our must-see list was the Mohegan Bluffs with the classic staircase leading down to the beach. Of course the crazy new england weather was not participating. While one side of the island was sunny, this side was completely blanketed in fog. 
But it was still really pretty with all the fog
This was a great first visit to Rhode Island for both of us. We can't wait to go back to visit Providence and Newport now. 

4 comments:

  1. Block Island is on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a visit, especially since it's less well known compared to the Cape of Long Island, it's not to busy

      Delete
  2. These photos are so beautiful!! It sounds like a lot of fun being able to tour the island on a moped. You are so lucky yo be close to so many beautiful Islands! Newport is one of my favorite places, it's absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I didn't even edit these because they were perfect on their own. The moped tour cost $20 more than renting bikes but it was so much more fun. We know we are fortunate to have these things close to us, so we're enjoying them before I have to leave. Btw I think we may save Newport for Christmas time, I hear the mansions are all decked out then and the town is adorable decorated.

      Delete