Thursday, September 20, 2018

"Dear DXTTR"

Only 1 more day! 
One day until I leave the dental school and embark on 7 months of away rotations. It is beyond gratifying to be at this stage and closing this chapter of dental school. 
But I could not have made it this far, without the constant unwavering support of my first patient...Dexter. Who is he you ask? Well Dexter/DXTTR stands for Dental X-ray Teaching Training Replica. These are used in dental schools throughout the country to train future dentists. These dental manikins with their fake teeth (though some of them have a composite of real teeth that have been extracted from different humans--gross & totally weird, I know) serve as our first practice patients until we are ready for the real thing. Since I no longer practice on DXTRR heads anymore, I thought that I would write a "Dear John" letter to my mine. 
Dear DXTTR, 

I want to break-up. When our relationship began, we spent a lot of time together. We were inseparable, you and I. But we've been drifting apart for a very long time now. I think that we've both known that it's coming to an end. But I want to thank you for the time that we've had together. They say that you never forget your first. And it's true, that first time was special---even if I did drill right though your cheek. Thank you for letting me learn how to take x-rays on you. Seriously, there was so much radiation exposure. And thank you for letting me drill on your teeth over and over and over again. Thank you for being my first patient. You've been great. Truly. It's not you, it's me. I've moved on and there is just no going back to what we had. 


-Jasmine 

Totally brutal I know, but it's always good to have a little closure right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment