Monday, December 31, 2018

just back from Europe & Africa

 We are just back from an incredible trip of a lifetime, spending the holidays traveling through Morocco and Portugal. And when I say "just back", I mean that we only arrived home maybe an hour ago…enough time to start a load of laundry and shower off the travels of the day.
I’m exhausted, but since tonight is New Year’s Eve, I’m forcing myself to stay awake to ring in the new year. I'm a little delirious with the time change, but blogging anyway because this is me trying to distract myself and fight off the jet lag and the siren song of sleeping in my own bed. So I just want to take a moment now to reflect on this incredible adventure while it's still fresh. It was not perfect by any means. Tom and I were both sick by the end of the trip (the “allergies” he had before we left manifested as a full blown cold while we were abroad that he then spread to me. Yeah, allergies huh). There were moments when I wondered to myself, why we signed up for something so crazy. But there were also so many wow moments that I will keep with me forever. While traveling is of course fun, that's not why I do it. I truly believe that travel is one of the best ways that we can grow as human beings. By experiencing cultures and people and places so different from ourselves, it expands our own views of the human experience. So while I may not fully understand the customs or religion, I am at least thankful for a peak into their lives because it truly shapes my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment