Tuesday, June 26, 2018

tooth be told...I love my patients

Last week, I didn't have a single lunch break. With being on an emergency dental rotation, I ended up seeing patients straight through. The cranky hungry side of me wanted to do nothing but complain. And I won't lie, I may have whined a little. But at the end of it all, I'll skip lunch any day because I love what I do, I love why I do it, and I love my patients. It's the only way that I am able be at dental school right now, making so many sacrifices---far beyond missing a few lunches. 
Everyday that I work with patients, I put myself and my health at risk by treating people with HIV, hepatitis, and other infectious diseases. Everyday that I see patients is a day spent away from my husband. I gave up so much to be where I am, sacrificing my own happiness and our relationship for the sake of pursing dentistry. Everyday that I treat patients is a day that I owe a little more to Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, because unfortunately the United States seems to be the only first world country where future doctors have to pay for school themselves. I couldn't do any of this on my own. I do it because my patients give me perspective and reason to exist and for that, I love them. I love the patients who are rude to me. I love the patients who are scared of me because I will change their minds. I love my 5 year patients who challenge me by squirming in their chairs. I love the patients who don't think I'm capable and I will prove to them that I am. I love the patients who are grateful for my help and the ones that are not. Tooth be told, I love them all for trusting me and allowing me to be responsible for their care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment