Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Review: Madewell Zip Transport Tote

Have you ever had the perfect bag? It's the one you reach for more than anything else you own. It doesn't matter if you've had it for 3 days or 3 years, the texture and color are just as vibrant as the day you brought it home. And you feel invincible with it. That's the Madewell Zip Transport Tote
review madewell zip transport tote
After years of constant use, my J Crew tote was beginning to show its wear and needed a replacement. The obvious choice was to purchase the Madewell Transport Tote because it's similar in style and design to my J Crew Downing Tote. It was kind of a no brainer really. But when I saw the Madewell Transport Tote in store, my heart sank. I had seen tons of photos of the original transport tote, but in person, I wasn't as impressed. It felt like I would always be comparing the two bags and feeling dissatisfied. I was on my way out of the store when I spotted the Madewell ZIP Transport Tote. Now, that's a handbag! 

How does it Compare? The Zip Transport vs. The Original Transport
I'm sure you're wondering how the zip version differs from the original transport tote. Well obviously, there's a zipper and the added privacy is a major perk. Also, the interior of the zip version is lined whereas the original has exposed leather. And while the Madewell website has the same color listings for both bags, I swear that the leather on the Zip Transport is richer and thicker in texture. In fact, that's what made me gravitate to the zip tote over the original.    
the madewell zip transport tote
There is also a $20 price difference with the zip version being a little more expensive. But then again, I scooped mine up during a major sale, so the price difference is relative. 

Best Features? 
The best part about this tote is definitely the quality of the leather. It's soft and natural texture is the kind of material that just gets better with age. And it's beyond durable. I've already spilled on it, but you can't even tell because it's Jasmine Proof. Love this bag! I'm also a fan of the fact that the bag is fully lined, with interior pockets on both sides for storage. 
madewell transport review
Another favorite feature is the straps. It has the traditional double straps {though shorter than the original}, but there's also a long adjustable strap, allowing the bag to be used as a crossbody. Being a shortie{5'2'}, I really appreciate having the ability to adjust things to suit my height. And as an added bonus…the shoulder band has a widened portion that gives extra comfort. They really thought of everything. 
review madewell transport blog

Where to Take It? 
This tote has quickly become my everyday bag. It's large enough to hold a laptop and tablet=perfect for school or work. And the hands-free crossbody strap is essential for running errands. But I'm most excited to use this for traveling. It will be the perfect carry-on tote and function well as a day bag for exploring new cities. Basically it will go everywhere. 
[OOTD details-Mama's got a brand new Bag

What's not to Love? 
In order to give a fully impartial review, I had every intention of being completely honest about the bag's flaws. But I'm having trouble finding any. In fact, I'm considering purchasing the bag in black as well. I will say that the leather on the handles isn't treated on both sides. This can be a little annoying with making sure you have the handles facing outwards, but then again the untreated leather on the inside helps the bag to stay in place on your shoulder. So is that a flaw or an ingenious method of making the bag more wearable? 
PIN IT
All in all, the genuine leather and gold hardware make this bag a classic beauty. Add in the perfect design, and the zip transport tote is definitely taking things up a notch.

linking up with thepleatedpoppy// 

13 comments:

  1. I love that your tote has a zipper on it - so many (mine included) don't and this is great for commuters!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I wasn't necessarily looking for a tote with a zipper or snap closure, but it's nice to have

      Delete
  2. I love how this bag is actually hung on a hanger before purchase. I would have never thought of that, but that's actually incredibly smart. I actually really love the original transport as well. I didn't think I would after seeing yours. But I just looked it up and it looks beautiful, love that it can come in different colors too! I never zip up my current bag which is why the zipper doesn't bother me if it's there or not, but I guess having the option is really nice as well.

    I love the interior storage inside the bag, mine doesn't have that so I have to make that with purse organizers, or little bags inside of the big bag. I spy a little cute make up bag ;)

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes props to Madewell for displaying their bags so well. As for the original transport, it's so much different in person. Based on photos I'd seen, I walked into the store prepared to buy the original tote, but in person the leather is really really thin. Basically, the original photographs well, but in reality it's an unlined bag with thin leather so I think it's a little overpriced. The zipper version leather is just nicer + it the straps are adjustable so that's why I like it better. The fact that it has a zipper wasn't crucial to me, but it will be nice since I'm traveling out the country this year and it's essential to secure ids and passports

      Delete
  3. This purse looks like great quality and I definitely need plenty of pockets to store different items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely prefer zippered and lined over the traditional too! It's a gorgeous bag and seems like the perfect size for so many things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been the perfect bag. Tom's always teasing me because he says I treat it like it's a member of the family but it kind of is

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great review! I love this bag, especially the interior pockets, zip top and crossbody strap. I think it is going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the best bag I've had in years and trust me, I have a lot of designer bags…some of which I'm now willing to part with thanks to this tote. I would watch for sales because then it's so reasonable

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm just wondering if a 13" laptop would fit in this bag if it has a soft case around it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say yes as long as it's not too thick. Also those hard cases that also stay attached to the laptop would work well too

      Delete
  7. Okay. Maybe I'm two years too late on this post, but it popped up on your sidebar and I had to check it out.

    I've been lusting after this purse for a couple years now but cannot bring myself to buy it because of the price - I'm so CHEAP!

    I need to know, are you still using this bag? How's it holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It popped on the sidebar because its still such a popular post. I can totally understand your apprehensions with spending so much on a bag. I thought about it for months and went to the store over and over before I finally committed. To answer your questions, yes. It is still my go to bag that I am constantly using and still getting compliments on after all these years because it holds up so well well.

      Delete