Tuesday, February 6, 2018

rotations rotations

Dental school has never felt as real for me as it has these past few days. I checked off a big hurtle with passing a practical I'd been struggling with. I nailed down my exam date for the second part of the national board dental exam. And I've been challenging my clinical graduation requirements AKA taking exams with live patients. But what's felt most tangible is the fact that my dental school has started to release our rotation schedule. 
My dental school actually functions on a medical school model, which means that during senior year (which starts in May eek!), we get shipped off to various locations to complete 8-10 week long rotations. So my final year of dental school will consist of 3 away rotations and 2 home rotations. I found out that my first two rotations will be at the dental school, which was what I requested. And while I don't have my full schedule yet, it's looking like I will stay at the dental school until early autumn. Then I will move out of my apartment, and head off to do back to back dental rotations in various communities until graduation. It sounds crazy to be spending weeks living in a dorm in ever-changing locations, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Why? Being on rotation will simulate working in the real world. And with everything finally getting mapped out, it feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My goal between now and leaving for rotations is to check off as many of my clinical graduation requirements as possible. Graduation is no longer this mythical beast. Let's just say that I have an incredible amount of work to do. In the meantime, I'm holding my breath and waiting oh so impatiently for the remainder of the schedule to be released so I can find out exactly where I will be headed when my away rotations begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment