Wednesday, March 21, 2018

studying on-the-go

I'm currently entrenched in studying---even more so than usual as I prepare for the second part of my national board exam-a massive standardized test that I have to pass in order to become a dentist. It's a big deal! That being said, I haven't stopped living my life. I haven't stopped making time for family and friends and travel and all the parts of life that I love most.  
Studying in Palm Springs 
Some people might think I'm being reckless or irresponsible, but I learned a long time ago that I can't just focus on school to the exclusion of every other aspect of life. It's instinct for most students in high demand, high pressure programs to start cutting things out. Little by little, we stop making time for life in order to make more time for studying...until there is nothing left. For the students who can do this and still thrive, good for them. But for me personally, it makes me depressed and less productive overall. BUT, I do have a big exam looming over my head. I kick off my official study schedule today, but over spring break last week, I took advantage of some downtime. Husband tends to sleep in later than I do, so I used that time to study each morning. Plus, there were lots of long flights and drives during our travels that were perfect for flipping through study flashcards. Obviously, I'm hoping and praying to pass my exam. And I'm putting everything into it with studying every chance I get, even on-the-go. From the outside, it may look like I'm spending all my time having a good time, but there's a true balancing act going on here with studying on-the-go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment