Sunday, October 15, 2017

pumpkin cornbread & sweet potato crockpot chili

This is how we celebrate fall in the South...taking classic Southern recipes and adding a taste of Autumn into the mix. 

PUMPKIN CORNBREAD MUFFINS 
I've made this recipe from scratch before and I do mean from scratch, as in pureeing the pumpkin myself and starting with cornmeal. But these days I'm lucky if I have time to eat, yet along spend hours in the kitchen. And since cornbread is always served as a side to the main course anyway, I wanted to find a shortcut, but still keep the same taste. This version of the recipe definitely cuts out a bit of the work, but still taste just as good. Takes all of 5 minutes of prep time, so I'm a fan. Added bonus of the pumpkin, it makes the cornbread super moist. These are great served with autumn soups & chilis, but I eat them as snacks and for breakfast even too. 

Ingredients: 
8.5oz cornbread mix
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
 1/4 tsp cumin
 dash of salt 
1 egg 
1/3 cup milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
 1 tbsp molasses

Directions: 
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients (cornbread mix, baking powder, chili powder, cumin, dash of salt) in a medium sized bowl 
2. In a separate container, mix wet ingredients (egg, milk, pumpkin puree, molasses) 
3. Mix the dry ingredients into wet, do not over-mix. 
4. Spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. If you want to to bake in traditional square pan, I would recommend doubling the recipe. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes 

SWEET POTATO CROCKPOT CHILI 
Love this easy crockpot meal that is bursting with protein thanks to the lean turkey, black beans, and sweet potatoes. Tossed this together on the fly the first time I made it and it's been a hit ever since. 

Ingredients: 
1 pound of sweet potatoes 
1--14.5oz can of low sodium chicken broth 
1--14.5oz can diced tomatoes 
1--14.5oz can black beans 
1 pound lean ground turkey meat 
1 small red onion diced 
1.5 tbsp chili powder 
1 tsp cumin 
garlic 
olive oil 
cheese to garnish (optional) 
cilantro to garnish (optional) 

Directions: 
1. Douse a large pan with olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until onion has softened. Add in lean turkey, chili powder, and cumin. Brown turkey meat. 
2. While turkey browns, cut sweet potatoes into cubes. I leave the skin on because it's packed with nutrients...oh and because I'm lazy. 
3. Add sweet potatoes, broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, and browned turkey meat mixture to crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. 
4. Once cooked, garnish chili with cheese & cilantro and serve with pumpkin cornbread. 

It's been too long since I shared a good recipe, so it's fun to do a two in one today with this easy Sunday dinner. I've been getting back into cooking a bit more this month thanks to a little more free time. Hopefully, I can keep up this cooking streak since fall flavors are the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment