Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A nagging voice...

Today marked the completion of another exam and I am always happy to have that over with. My school structures our exams to be multiple choice because the dental boards, which is a national exam that every dental student in the country is required to pass in order to practice dentistry is a multiple choice exam. Our exams are also computerized. Therefore, you receive your raw score right after the test and then later in the day you receive your adjusted/final score. The adjusted score is based on the removal of questions that the majority got incorrect or miscoded questions.



Like many medical programs our school runs on a pass/fail basis. However, we do receive percentage grades for the didactic exams and they report the class high, low, and average. I felt especially prepared for this exam, which I would attribute to the fact that I took full advantage of a bonus day off yesterday and studied for 11 hours. While I did perform well today, I can't help but think that I could have done better. If I am honest with myself I know that I could have taken more advantage of my weekend time for studying. At the same time, I know that it's not practical to work non-stop and not give yourself breaks, but when you know that what you are learning and how much you know will impact your future patients care, its hard not to be critical. 

Oh just in case, you are interested: here was this weeks exam list. It was a culmination of bacteriology and virology. I think that we have one more exam on virology and then we move onto the neurology unit. 

Pathology
  • Vesiculobullous disease

Bacteriology: Each presentation included general characteristics, replication & transmission cycles, and the pathology associated with various bacteria. 
  • Opportunistic pulmonary infections
  • STIs: Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia 
  •  Gram Positive Bacilli
  •  Non-sporeforming Anaerobes
  •  Zoonotic infections 

Virology
  • Sterilization & Disinfection 
  •  Poxviridae and Parvoviridae 
  • Adenoviridae
  •  Herpesviridae 
  •  Papilloma and Polyoma Viruses
  • Picornaviridae 
Dental 
  • Periodontal Disease and Systemic Disease 

No comments:

Post a Comment