Thursday, February 13, 2014

Making Sacrifices

Good Morning All. Sorry about the lack of a Valentine's Day outfit post yesterday, but I didn't actually get dressed. We didn't have class until 10am and we were only at school long enough to take our weekly exam and then afternoon classes were cancelled because the snow. No worries-I am wearing a Valentine's day inspired outfit today, which I will post tomorrow and then I will give you a full weekend recap of what the husband I do to celebrate Valentine's day. So if you are waiting for another outfit post check back first thing tomorrow morning.

As for today I want to talk about one of the most important aspects of my life right now-dental school. I am currently a first year dental student (dental school is 4 years total). I have class everyday and attendance is mandatory. Class is from 8am-5pm with an hour for lunch. Some days we have 8 hours of lecture, other days is 8 hours of lab, and some days are a mix. Because we are in class so much-we receive a lot of material on a weekly basis. Therefore, we have an exam every Wednesday. Yep, that's right I have an exam every week, which normally covers the amount of material I might have received in college for the entire semester. Here is the list of the material that was covered on my exam this past week:


Immunology
  • Antigen Presentation and Processing 
  • T Cell Receptors and Thymic Selection 
  • T Cell Activation and Differentiation 
  •  CD4 and CD8 T Cell Mediated Immunity
  • Antibody Structure  & Effector Functions
  • B Cell Development & Activation I 
  • B Cell Development and Activation II
  •  Vaccines and Vaccination  

Pathology
  • Immunodeficiency Diseases 
  • Autoimmunity 
  • Hypersensitivies 
  •  Rheumatologic Disorders

Pharmacology
  • Antihistamines, Antirheumatics

Dental
  • Nomenclature and caries classification
  • Immunity, Inflammation and Periodontitis 
  • Periodontology: Role of Local Factors

Each one of those bullets represents a learning unit, which is anywhere from 1-3hours of lecture. So everyday after class and during about 85% of the weekend I spend my time studying and practicing in lab. That is why I have titled this post "making sacrifices". On a daily basis, I give up a lot to be here, including the opportunity to be with my husband. I would have to say that is the most difficult aspect of school. Of course the material is challenging and plentiful, but the hardest part is staying focused on it. However, I wouldn't trade this experience, because I know that the end result will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment