Saturday, December 23, 2017

home for the holidays

Not going to lie, I've definitely been overwhelmed with the holidays this year. It's not easy to be earning a doctorate degree while trying to make time for the rest of those real life moments. I love all the special parts about Christmas...the decorating, the ornaments, the Christmas cards. But all those things require time and that's one thing that I never have very much of. 
This year I almost skipped out on decorating my apartment because of the time commitment. But then I remembered how this time next year, there is a very real possibly that I will be off on rotations, living in a dorm. So I decided to decorate my place after all to make it feel more like a home. And I'm so glad that I did because Tom and I decided that we wouldn't rush off to visit family this year. Instead, we stayed put at my place for the last few days. It's been nice to live together like a normal married couple and it's been extra cozy thanks to all the holiday decor. It's such a simple thing, but in a long distance marriage, it's not something that we take for granted. I do love our Christmas tradition of taking a trip together, but its also been nice to stay home too. If you've been following along my instastories, you know we've been spending our time lounging around together, adding more holiday decorations to the tree, having dinners together, playing board games, having long conversations---this was our best version of Christmas together. So until we can live together again in our dream home one day, it was nice to have a taste of what it would feel like to be in our own home for the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment