Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Year of Travel Fulfillment

 I travel to learn about myself and about the world. I travel to experience new things and to grow as a person. I travel to enhance my life and embrace others differences. I travel to be fulfilled.


The fact that I am in grad school right now completely dominates my life, especially with regards to free time. But when I do manage to get some time away, I love to spend that time traveling with my husband. Although our schedules may be restrained, we managed to squeeze in some pretty amazing trips this past year. And before I start making our travel plans for 2015, I wanted to reflect on all the wonderful new places we visited in 2014. 

The Best of Boston 
Tom lives in Boston so every time that I visit him, it is an experience. Even though Boston isn't a large city, it has a rich history with boundless entertainment. In the past we have explored every inch from whale watching to following the history along the Freedom Trail. And 2014 was no different. Throughout the year we explored Boston bit by bit. Husband took me to my first ever concert at the Boston House of Blues and we caught our first broadway show at the gorgeous Boston Opera House.  


Sunday brunches and Walks in the Park, impromptu dates, and plenty of nights out on the town. We have been so fortunate to have such a great city at our fingertips, and I for one can't wait to continue to explore it. 

Dominican Republic 
Punta Cana//Higüey


From sunning ourselves on the white sanded clear watered shores to getting out and meeting the locals; we did it all. I'm still amazed at how much we packed into our week there...parasailing, kayaking, snorkeling, zip-lining and more. Even with all that adventure, nothing compares to the wonderful people we met. They welcomed us into their homes and introduced us to their way of life...so grateful for the unique experience. 

Savannah Georgia
I'm a planner at heart. Schedules and lists are my wheelhouse, but even I can admit that spontaneity has it's place too. It was a last minute trip, but I'm so glad that we did it as Savannah has been on my list for quite a while. The Southern charm and unique history of this city is unlike anyplace I've been before, but don't just take my word for it. Go see for yourself.








California
Monterey//Big Sur//Three Rivers//San Francisco//Napa Valley

As a one year anniversary gift, we gave each other a trip to California. Having lived on the East Coast my entire life, I haven't had much experience with the Western part of the country, but I loved every minute of it. We saw whales in Monterey, relaxed on the beach in Big Sur, camped amongst the giant sequoias in Three Rivers, biked the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and sipped on wine in Napa Valley. I cannot wait to get back to California, there is so much more left to explore














Asheville North Carolina 
Before 2014 came to a close, we squeezed in one last trip as our Christmas present to each other. We participated in Christmas at the Biltmore, marvelled at the creations at the National Gingerbread Competition, and drank with the locals at The Wicked Weed


As far as travel is concerned, 2014 was quite a year. We walked along the Spanish Moss trees and the summer breeze in Georgia, we haggled at the local markets in the Dominican Republic, and we climbed giant marble domes in California. So many places and so many experiences that we are all the better for. I'm definitely considering 2014 a year of travel fulfillment...missing you already 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment